Monday, April 7, 2008

Facebook Banning People for Spamming

I stumbled upon this article today about a guy who sent out a mass message to all these financial groups on Facebook because he works in finance too and thought it was a great networking opportunity. I thought the article was pretty interesting because immediately after he sent this mass message, he was banned from Facebook forever. I didn't realize that Facebook did this so easily.

I think this response from Facebook might have been a little harsh - maybe he should have gotten a warning or something like that since this was only his first time sending a large message that seemed like spam. He said that he made the message very personal and relevant. However, it sounded to me like he knew he was taking a risk by sending the message to such a large audience so I think he should've known that he should maybe spend a little more time to contact these people in a different way. People do not respond to mass emails or anything like that very well... So it would have been a lot more effective for him in the long run anyway to spend time to write messages maybe to one group at a time. If he wasn't banned from Facebook.. I'm not sure he would have received much of a response in the first place.

No comments: